1 lb 94% lean ground beef
½ cup chopped leeks
3 cups diced tomatoes
½ cup water
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bay leaf
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon salt
1 spaghetti squash
1 cup reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
scallions for garnish (optional)
1. Heat a large pot over medium-high heat, and add the beef and leeks. Cook until beef is brown and fully cooked (internal temperature of 160° F) and leeks have softened.
2. Add the tomatoes, water, garlic, cocoa powder, and Worcestershire sauce along with the remaining herbs and spices. Mix well. Bring to a boil.
3. Reduce sauce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes or until thickened.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the spaghetti squash. Cut in half, and remove the seeds and stringy pulp. Place squash halves in a microwave-safe dish with ¼ to ½ cup water. Heat on high for 12 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool. With a fork, scrape out the flesh to make spaghetti-like strands. Set aside two cups, and save the remaining squash for another meal.
5. Remove the bay leaf from the chili, and mix in the spaghetti squash.
6. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with scallions, if desired.
Yields 4 servings ~ Per serving – 1 Lean, 3 Greens, 3 Condiments