3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 chipotle chile en adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 tablespoon sauce (optional for heat)
1 pound ground turkey
1 (14 ½ ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, with their juice
1 (15 ½ -ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Sliced scallions, cilantro sprigs, avocado for garnish, optional
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the tomato paste and the chipotle chile and sauce; cook 1 minute more.
4. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat loses its raw color, about 3 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes–crushing them through your fingers into the skillet–along with their juices
6. And beans
7. Bring to a boil.
9. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 20 minutes.
Yields 3 Servings ~ Per Serving – 1 Lean, 2 Greens
(Don’t forget to add 1 green)