1 large spaghetti squash (approximately 2 pounds) – use 5 cups cooked squash
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, pan-seared and diced – total weight 28 ounces
10 sprays olive oil spray
1 cup frozen kale
1 tablespoon lemon zest
¼ cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1. Puncture spaghetti squash rind about 20 times (allows steam to vent while cooking)
2. Place spaghetti squash on a microwave-safe plate and heat for 8 minutes in microwave
Check for doneness by pressing lightly on spaghetti squash rind. Rind should yield gently to pressure. Heat for an additional 2-4 minutes if spaghetti squash is still hard.
3. Allow spaghetti squash to rest for a few minutes until cool enough to handle.
4. Slice spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a large spoon. Use a fork to scrape out spaghetti squash flesh from each half and set “spaghetti” aside.
5. Add 2 tbs olive oil to a large sauté pan over medium heat.
6. Add spaghetti squash, kale, lemon juice, lemon zest, spices, and diced chicken to pan.
7. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Yields 4 servings
Per serving – 1 Lean protein, 3 vegetables, 3 condiments