Drinking eight glasses of water a day is a core Macro Habit of Health. Though this Habit of Health appears easy and straightforward to adopt, many of us reach the end of our day having consumed very little water. We get wrapped up in work or in errands and forget to give our bodies the water they need to function at their best.
BENEFITS OF BEING WELL-HYRDATED
Water plays a key role in supporting health, particularly during weight loss because it helps remove toxins and other unhealthy substances stored in your fat cells. Being well-hydrated helps all your organs and systems function properly. In fact, every function in your body takes place in water. It’s the solvent that moves nutrients, hormones, antibodies, and oxygen through your bloodstream and lymphatic system, and also removes waste. And of course, it’s essential to your kidneys’ ability to filter and eliminate metabolic byproducts and toxins.
If you don’t drink enough, your body is forced to recycle dirty water, diminishing the efficiency of every metabolic function. The side effects of dehydration can be mental as well. As your body struggles to perform, you might feel that your thinking is cloudy and that you are more irritable.
HYDRATION AFFECTS NEARLY ALL ASPECTS OF YOUR HEALTH.
During Phase I of your weight-loss plan, there are even more good reasons to make a conscious effort to drink your eight glasses a day. Here are a few:
- It’s calorie free but helps you feel full and satisfied.
- It keeps you from overeating. Studies have shown that when we feel hungry, 30 percent of the time our bodies are actually signaling for water.
- It facilitates the removal of toxins such as pesticides and preservatives from your cells.
- It prevents dehydration as your body eliminates excess salt and water from a diet of too much processed food.
- It minimizes or eliminates fatigue, lack of energy, headaches, and unclear thinking.
- It speeds up metabolism. A recent study showed that drinking two 8-ounce glasses of cold water increased metabolic rate by 30 percent for ninety minutes.
- It helps your liver convert fat to energy.
- It compensates for the loss of glycogen stores as you lose weight.
If you incorporate infusers into your hydration plan, you can obtain vital phytonutrients to augment you daily intake.
SUGGESTIONS TO HELP YOU INCREASE YOUR WATER INTAKE
This Habit of Health can become the cornerstone to your other habits, supporting and driving your future success. If you struggle to drink enough water in a day, here are some suggestions:
- Set a reminder on your phone to alert you throughout the day that you need to stop to drink water.
- Buy a reusable, eco-friendly water bottle and carry it with you so that clean, fresh water is always close by.
- Tie hydration to major parts of your routine. For example, drink a glass of water when you first get out of bed, drink another full glass when you get to work, and so on. Associating the habit with something else may make it easier to remember.
You are probably thirsty after reading this, so get a glass of water right now!