When eating out have a plan of attack. Here are some tips that may help you stay on track:
1. Abide by the guidelines for Lean & Green meals as you would at home, which should consist of 5 to 7 ounces of cooked lean protein (like chicken), 3 servings of non-starchy vegetables (like a simple garden salad, without croutons, onions, or carrots), and 0-2 servings of healthy fats depending on your lean choices. If it helps, review our Dining Out Guide for reference before placing your order.
2. Request your meat be prepared without rich sauces with added fats.
3. Substitute starchy vegetables (like potatoes) for lower carbohydrate choices (like steamed broccoli or green beans).
4. Ask your server to hold the bread basket or bowl of chips and always order your salad dressing on the side.
5. Focus on friendly conversation rather than the food! Be completely “in the moment” with your dining companions. Catch up, ask questions, listen intently, and reflect on what they share. Not only will this keep your mind off of food, but it will enrich and grow important relationships with those that are important in your life, like family members, best friends, even those that are also on this Program.
6. If you must absolutely have a desert, share it with someone else. and only take 1-3 bites of that desert. That is all it takes to quench a craving.
7. Remember you are in control of what you eat, not the other way around.