4 lbs spaghetti squash – you will only need 4 cups
8 oz part skim ricotta
8 oz reduced fat mozzarella cheese, divided
2 Tablespoons egg beaters
2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 cups Italian diced tomatoes with less than 5 g of carbs per 1/2 cup, divided
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
6 oz Jennie O Italian seasoned ground turkey, cooked
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut Spaghetti squash long ways (stem to bottom). Using a spoon scoop out seeds and discard them. Place ½ of squash cut side down and microwave on high for 9 minutes or until the outside is soft. Repeat with 2nd half. (I normally do this step an hour or two earlier to allow the squash to cool down. It makes it easier to handle)
3. Use a fork or spoon to scoop out the rest of the squash and set aside in a bowl.
4. Measure out 4 cups of spaghetti squash and store the rest in the fridge.
5. Add oil to a skillet over medium heat. Saute the 4 cups of squash for a few minutes until it begins to brown. Add garlic powder, salt, and pepper, if desired.
6. Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan, egg beaters and 4 oz or 1 cup of mozzarella cheese together.
7. Pour 1 cup of the diced tomatoes on the bottom of a 9 inch or 8 inch square casserole dish and spread evenly. Add squash.
8. Top the squash with the ricotta cheese mixture. Then top the ricotta cheese mixture with the cooked ground turkey. Spread 1 cup of diced tomatoes over the meat and bake for 35 minutes.
9. Spread the rest of the mozzarella cheese over the top (1 cup) and bake an additional 25 minutes until cheese is melted and lightly brown.
10. Let rest for 10 minutes or so to serve.
Makes 4 servings. Per serving: 1 Lean, 3 Greens, ½ Healthy Fat, and Less than 1 Condiment.