2 medium spaghetti squashes
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 lb lean ground chicken or turkey or beef
½ cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves garlic minced
2 small red bell peppers chopped
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ cup Salsa
½ cup tomato sauce
4 oz can black beans drained and rinsed (optional)
½ cup light Mexican cheese
Cilantro chopped, for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside.
2. Cut spaghetti squash in half and scrape out seeds. Spray the squash with a bit of olive oil or coconut oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and lay cut side down on prepared baking sheet.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until soft. (If you want to speed up time, place squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 8 – 9 minutes, or until soft.)
4. While the squash is cooking, spray a skillet with coconut oil and heat on medium heat. Add ground chicken and cook until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and set aside.
5. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper to same skillet. Sauté on medium heat until onion is soft.
6. Add chili powder, salsa, tomato sauce, and beans (do not use beans if on our program) and stir.
7. Add cooked chicken back in and stir together.
8. Remove cooked spaghetti squash from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
9. Carefully shred spaghetti squash strands without breaking the shell. Combine spaghetti squash strands with chicken mixture in skillet.
10. Fill each “boat” with 1/4 of the squash and meat mixture. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp cheese on top of each boat.
11. Bake boats for 10 minutes in oven, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
12. Garnish with cilantro (if using) and serve.
Yields 3 Servings ~ Per Serving – 1 Lean, 3 Greens, 2 Healthy Fats