1 ½ cups of Kosher Salt
1 ½ cups of Brown Sugar
1 Large Lemon
1 Large Orange
2 Gallons of Hot Water
For Seasoning After Brine:
Kosher Salt (to taste)
Course Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 stick of softened butter
Directions to Spatchcock a Turkey.
1. Cut out spine of Turkey (numerous youtube videos on how to Spatchcock)
2. Turn Turkey over and partially cut the wishbone with shears.
3. Place palm of hand over the wishbone and push down hard until you hear the wishbone snap. This will allow the turkey to lay flat. (see pics).
1. In a large container (I used a food safe 5 gallon bucket with lid) add 2 gallons of Hot water.
2. Add 1 ½ cups of Salt and 1 ½ cups of brown sugar and mix until completely dissolved.
3. Drop in several sage leaves (cut in half)
4. Drop in 3-5 sprigs of Rosemary
5. Cut lemon and orange into 8 pieces each.
6. Squeeze each piece of orange and lemon into bucket and then drop rind into this mixture.
7. Add ice until the brine is cool.
8. Submerge Turkey into mixture breast end down and let brine for a minimum of 24 hour, but no longer than 36 hours.
Prepping the Turkey:
1. Pat turkey with paper towels to dry.
2. Place turkey in refrigerator uncovered for at least 6 hours to allow the skin to further dry out.
Seasoning the Turkey:
1. Slide fingers under the skin of the turkey to create pockets.
2. Take 1/3 of the butter and place under the skin of one side of the breast. (do the same with the other side. Take the remaining butter and put under the skin of the thighs. From the outside of the skin, rub the butter under the skin until it is all smoothed out.
3. Slice apples into slices and place under the skin on breasts and on thighs.
4. rub entire turkey with the olive oil.
5. Turn bird upside down and season with salt and pepper.
6. Flip turkey over and season top of turkey with salt and pepper.
1. Heat Smoker to 185 degrees
2. Place Turkey skin side up in smoker and smoke at 185 degrees for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
3. Turn Heat up to 325 degrees and cook until the internal temp is 165 degrees (measured in thickest part of breast).
4. Once Breast reaches 165 remove from heat, wrap in Aluminum foil and let rest 10-15 minutes. Enjoy.