4 – 9 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 slices
1 – 12 oz jar of roasted red peppers sliced into 1 inch pieces (about two whole red peppers if you roast your own)
1 bunch of basil, whole leaves
¼ cup fresh grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease a 9×12 casserole dish.
3. Butterfly chicken breasts by slicing into the long side of the breast, stopping just about ¼ of an inch from the opposite side.
4. Lay chicken breast in casserole dish opened up.
5. Sprinkle the exposed insides of the chicken breast with ½ of the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
6. Stack the roasted red pepper, basil, and 1 slice of the mozzarella on the bottom side of the chicken. Fold the top flap of the chicken over, tucking in the mozzarella, basil and roasted red pepper as necessary.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining Italian seasoning.
8. Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes (until chicken is no longer pink).
9. Pull chicken out of oven and turn the oven to a high broil.
10. Top chicken with remaining mozzarella slices and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
11. Broil until cheese is browned and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Yields 6 Servings ~ Per serving – 1 Lean, 2 Greens, 2 Condiments
(Don’t forget to add 1 more Green to complete this yummy meal)