Spring is coming to a close with summer right around the corner starting on June 21st. As we are all looking to get outdoors more and enjoy the weather, many of us will hit the hiking trails. Which makes this the perfect time to go over hiking 101.
• Have the 10 Essentials on hand:
• Appropriate footwear
• Map and compass/GPS
• Extra water
• Extra food
• Rain gear and extra clothing
• Safety items
• First aid kit
• Knife or multi-purpose tool
• Sunscreen and sunglasses
• Let people know where you’ll be hiking and when you expect to be back.
• Study your maps before you begin the trip and have a good idea of which route you will hike.
• Have a time control plan, predetermine where you ought to be at certain points of the day using your map.
• Graph your route and highlight the route you will be taking.
• Check the weather and pack accordingly, taking into account
that weather may be very different the higher you go and always have rain gear
If you would like more information about hiking trails near you or hiking etiquette visit https://americanhiking.org/hiking-resources/