1 lb eggplant, cut into 1/2 to 1/4-inch thin 8 slices
1 teaspoon salt, Divided
¾ teaspoon pepper, divided
Non-stick pan spray
3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
Handful fresh basil, sliced, plus more for garnish
Zest from 1 fresh lemon
3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan Cheese
1 cup low carbohydrate marinara sauce such as Rao’s
8 oz mozzarella, shredded or thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425°F / 220°C
2. On a parchment lined baking pan, place sliced eggplant in a single layer. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper and non-stick cooking spray.
3. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until eggplants are soften. Remove from oven and set aside.
4. While eggplant is baking combine all ingredients for filing in a mixing bowl and set aside.
5. Spread 1/4 cup of marinara on bottom of a baking dish (possibly 11” x 8”) evenly.
6. Place an eggplant slice on a work surface and scoop 1 tablespoon of filling of the filling you made earlier at one end close to you.
7. Carefully roll eggplant lengthwise and place in prepared baking dish, seam side down. Continue with remaining eggplants and filling.
8. Pour remaining marinara (¾ cup) and top with mozzarella.
9. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is golden.
10. Remove from oven, let it set for 5 minutes.
11. Garnish with chopped basil if you’d like to.
Yields 4 Servings ~ Per serving – 1 Lean, 2 Greens, 3 Condiments
(don’t forget to add 1 more Green to complete this healthy Lean and Green Meal)