12 whole green chiles (canned)
6 egg whites
3.5 ounces cooked, finely shredded chicken
12 oz part-skim mozzarella
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, mix together 10 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese with 3.5 ounces cooked, shredded chicken, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon onion powder. Set aside.
3. Whip the egg whites on high with ½ teaspoon of cream of tartar, ½ teaspoon garlic powder and ½ teaspoon onion powder until stiff peaks form.
4. Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of the whipped egg whites on the bottom of the pan.
5. Carefully remove the canned chiles, split down one side and place a tablespoon or two (depending on the size of the chile) onto the opened chile. Fold the chile around the filling and press the filled chile into the mixture, lining them up like you would an enchilada. Make sure to press the chile into the eggs so the eggs envelop the sides of the chile. Repeat the process for the remaining 11 chiles, lining them up like you would if you were making enchiladas.
6. Spread the remaining whipped egg whites over the chiles and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
7. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
8. Remove from oven, increase the temperature to 450 degrees, remove foil and return to the oven for another 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is bubbly and the eggs are browned a bit.
This is best served fresh from the oven (let it sit a few minutes to let the cheese settle before serving). However, reheated leftovers are amazing too.
Yields 4 Servings ~ Per Serving ~ 1 Lean, 1.5 Greens, 1.25 Condiments
(3 chile rellenos = 1 serving) (don’t forget to add 1.5 more greens to complete this health meal)