Turkey Meatball & Squash Noodle Soup
1½ lbs. 93% lean ground turkey
½ cup low-fat grated parmesan cheese
2 scallions, trimmed and minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
4 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons non-purell capers
4 cups zucchini and/or yellow summer squash “noodles”
2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1. Combine the ground turkey with the cheese, scallions, salt and pepper; mix well and shape into 12 small (2 ounce) meatballs.
2. Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a medium to large pot, add the capers and turkey meatballs, and simmer gently for about 12 -14 minutes.
3. Remove the meatballs from the chicken stock and plate into four individual soup bowls; keep warm.
4. Bring the chicken stock back to a boil and add the squash noodles; simmer for about 2 minutes. Using tongs, arrange a quarter of the squash noodles on top of the turkey meatballs in each bowl.
5. Add the cherry tomatoes to the broth and simmer for one minute. Stir in the basil leaves.
6. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cherry tomatoes from the pot and arrange an equal amount over the meatballs in each bowl. Pour the remaining broth over the top. Serve hot.
Yields 4 Servings ~ Per Serving – 1 Lean, 3 Greens, 3 Condiments
Tip:You can make squash “noodles” with a spiralizer, vegetable peeler, or by thinly slicing the squash into noodle-shape pieces with a knife. Alternatively, look for pre-cut squash noodles in the fresh and frozen departments at your local grocery store